Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
THURSDAY, 17 APR 2014
01:00 AM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
20 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Lebanon News
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Minister: Welfare program helping at least 18,000 families
Social Affairs Minister Wael Abu Faour. (The Daily Star/Hasan Shaaban)
Social Affairs Minister Wael Abu Faour. (The Daily Star/Hasan Shaaban)
A+ A-

BEIRUT: Social Affairs Minister Wael Abu Faour said Thursday that at least 18,000 families are benefitting from the government’s welfare program which was launched last year to help aid the poor across the country.

It is the first national program that aims to target poverty in Lebanon and help needy families and individuals and has won the support of the government and President Michel Sleiman in recent months.

“The number of people who are currently benefiting from the program is 84,322,” Abu Faour said in a news conference to announce the results of the first year of his ministry’s campaign against poverty. The program has benefitted 36,587 people aged 18 and younger; 7,260 aged 60 and older; and 31,889 students who receive financial aid through the program, he said.

The program is run in collaboration with the World Bank and the Italian and Canadian governments primarily to help those individuals living on less than $2.40 a day through providing in-kind aid.

Abu Faour said that the program to help families living in extreme poverty is one of the few initiatives that is working to specifically target poverty in the country.

“This program might be the only one that is operated by the state and stands away from political sectarianism,” he added.

During the conference, Abu Faour also detailed the numbers of families benefiting from the program in different regions across Lebanon.

In Beirut, where some 1,507 families applied for financial aid, 100 families have started receiving help. In Mount Lebanon 2,990 families from 11,733 applicants are taking part, while in north Lebanon 7,208 families from 9,203 applicants are receiving aid.

Over half of the Bekaa Valley’s 10,000 applicants – 5,428 – are receiving aid. In the south 2,338 families are receiving aid out of 5,447 applicants.

Some applications did not comply with program requirements and were rejected by the ministry. “Some families who applied did not deserve to receive aid from this program, but we are reviewing their applications because there are families who really deserve to get help,” he added.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on October 19, 2012, on page 4.
Home Lebanon News
 
     
 
Lebanon
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Tuesday April 15, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Silencing Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s hate talk
Michael Young
Michael Young
Why confuse gibberish with knowledge?
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
Putin will keep rolling, until Obama says no
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS