BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Lebanon's Arabic press digest - Oct. 21, 2012

Lebanon's Arabic press digest.

Following are summaries of some of the main stories in a selection of Lebanese newspapers Sunday. The Daily Star cannot vouch for the accuracy of these reports.

An-Nahar:

Martyrs’ Square takes March 14 back to 2005

A day of rage ‘against the slaughterer’ and Sleiman prepares a new Cabinet

Martyrs’ Square in Downtown Beirut returns to a scene Sunday that most closely resembles March 14, 2005, although many changes have occurred in Lebanese circumstances since then.

Leadership sources in the Future Movement” said that the March 14 will not abandon their call for the Cabinet to resign. They added that the assassination of Brig. Gen. Wissam al-Hasan is similar to the assassination of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.

According to the sources, the consultations being held by Prime Minister Najib Mikati and President Sleiman aim at agreeing on forming an alternative Cabinet before the resignation of the current government.

The sources said that March 14 will call for forming an unbiased salvation Cabinet, as the Future Movement called for months ago.

Meanwhile, other sources said that Mikati left the Grand Serail Saturday following the Cabinet’s session and went home to his Beirut residence. The sources also said an ordinary Cabinet session that was scheduled for Monday was also canceled, which indicates Mikati has started to seclude himself from his tasks as PM.

Al-Mustaqbal:

Mikati dissociates himself from the martyr’s blood and throws the ball in Sleiman’s court

‘Day of truth’... at the freedom square

The free Lebanese people head today toward Martyrs’ Square to take part in the burial of an exceptional man in the history of this nation, Brig. Gen. Wissam al-Hasan.

The high predicted turnout to the event is expected to represent the “first Lebanese response” to the new attack which the slaughter and tyrant Bashar al-Assad is launching against the country, with the help of his allies inside Lebanon.

While calls on Prime Minister Najib Mikati to resign grew, sources told the newspaper that Mikati hasn’t handed in his resignation to President Michel Sleiman as he claimed. The sources said that Mikati merely asked the president what should be done next, and the latter told him he will call for a dialogue session.

The sources also stressed that Mikati hasn’t shown any intention to resign during his meeting with Sleiman.

Meanwhile, ministerial sources said that, in the beginning of the Cabinet session, Sleiman said that the assassination of Hasan was the price he paid for uncovering the Samaha-Mamlouk terrorist plot [to carry out a series of explosions in the country].

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here