TRIPOLI, Lebanon: North Lebanon border villages came under intense shelling from Syria over the weekend but there were no reported wounded.
The shelling, which came in two stages – one between 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. Saturday, the other between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m. Sunday – targeted the border villages of Debabiyeh, Nura – which are adjacent to the Nahr al-Kabir river in Akkar, north Lebanon.
Elie Mourani, who hails from Debabiyeh, told The Daily Star that there was a sense of panic among residents, many of who are considering whether to vacate the area.
On Saturday, President Michel Sleiman held a series of calls concerning recent attacks originating from Syria onto Lebanese border villages.
According to a statement from his office Saturday, Sleiman was also briefed by Lebanese Army Gen. Jean Kahwaji on the circumstances surrounding Syrian shelling Friday that wounded one Lebanese soldier.
“[Sleiman] was briefed by Kahwaji on the circumstances surrounding the firing of missiles which resulted in the wounding of one Lebanese soldier and damage to several houses,” the statement said.
“[He was also briefed on] the entry and kidnapping of a citizen in Masharih al-Qaa,” it added.
Security sources told The Daily Star that a Syrian army unit crossed into Lebanon Saturday and kidnapped a farmer from the eastern border area of Masharih al-Qaa.
In the statement Saturday, Kahwaji also briefed Sleiman on consultations with “Syrian officials on this issue in which they pledged to bring to account those behind the shelling and apologized for the wrong that had been committed without the knowledge of the relevant leadership and vowed not allow it to recur.”