TRIPOLI, Lebanon: Tripoli’s political and security officials urged the government Friday to task the Higher Relief Committee with surveying damages wrought by last month’s clashes in the northern city.
“We contacted Prime Minister Najib Mikati and affirmed the necessity of the following: commissioning the Higher Relief Committee to survey the damage, starting Monday, in coordination with the Lebanese Army’s surveying team,” Future Movement MP Mohammad Kabbara told reporters.
Religious and political figures as well as security officials in Tripoli gathered for the seventh meeting at Kabbara’s residence to follow up on the situation in the city, following last month’s clashes between supporters and opponents of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
The fighting left at least 17 people dead and over 120 wounded, including 11 soldiers and a foreign journalist.
Kabbara also said that the attendees voiced relief over the stable situation in Tripoli and the security measures by the Army that have restored calm to the area.
The attendees also said that they would “work on covering the cost of hospitalization for victims of the clashes,” and follow up on security measures aimed at restoring normalcy to affected areas.
Among the attendees were MP Ahmad Karami, representing Prime Minister Najib Mikati; Ahmad Safadi representing Finance Minster Mohammad Safadi; MPs Samir Jisr, Khaled Daher and Badr Wannous; member of Al-Jamaa Al-Islamiya Azzam Ayoubi; head of state security service Brig. Khaled Mardly; head of Army intelligence unit in Tripoli Lt. Col. Ahmad Adra; and head of Army Intelligence in the north Col. Amer al-Hasan, as well as several religious figures.
“[We] encourage the municipality and relevant administrations to swiftly secure the services necessary to bring back normalcy to affected areas,” Kabbara said.
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on September 08, 2012, on page 2.