Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
WEDNESDAY, 16 APR 2014
07:18 PM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
23 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Lebanon News
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Serra credits cooperation with Army, locals for southern calm
Serra, right, and Peltier take part in the handover ceremony.
Serra, right, and Peltier take part in the handover ceremony.
A+ A-

SIDON, Lebanon: UNIFIL head Maj. Gen. Paolo Serra Monday attributed the recent calm in the south to the force’s cooperation with the Lebanese Army and local residents.

Speaking at a Bourj Qalawy ceremony to hand over control of the French Force Commander’s Reserve from Colonel Philippe Francois to Colonel Eric Peltier, Serra said that “over the past months, the situation in the area of operations has remained relatively calm.

This can be attributed to our close cooperation with the Lebanese Armed Forces as our strategic partner, and the tireless support of the local population.”

Lauding the work of the French peacekeepers, Serra said they have played a key role in building confidence among locals and the Lebanese Army. “Successful implementation of [U.N. Security Council] Resolution 1701 relies on this close cooperation, openness and mutual trust. This is the way to ensure a safe and secure environment for the people of south Lebanon,” he added.

Serra highlighted the FCR’s operations in countering rocket-launching operations, patrolling the Blue Line, mine clearance and radar surveillance support. He said the FCR has undertaken “numerous civic activities in support of the people of southern Lebanon, winning their respect and affection.”

Expressing appreciation for Francois’ “competent” leadership, Serra said his soldiers have made a significant contribution to implementing UNIFIL’s mandate since their arrival in March.

France recently reduced the number of troops it contributes to UNIFIL from around 1,300 to just over 900.

Although 10 French peacekeepers were injured in two separate roadside bombs in Tyre and Sidon last year, French officials have insisted the decision to downsize was a cost-cutting measure, rather than a political move.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on September 25, 2012, on page 4.
Home Lebanon News
 
     
 
Lebanon
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
More from
Mohammed Zaatari
 
 
Driving school: liberating women, one ride at a time
 
 
Army demands camp hand over shooting suspect
 
 
Young aid worker among Mieh Mieh victims
 
 
Sheikh gunned down in Sidon refugee camp
 
 
Soldiers killed in Akkar after Tripoli protests
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Tuesday April 15, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Silencing Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s hate talk
Michael Young
Michael Young
The presidential chess game has begun
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
China moves to the scary side of its boom
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS