Lebanon News

Freed hostage thrilled to be home

Ibrahim is welcomed by his wife and daughter.

BEIRUT: Awad Ibrahim, the recently released Lebanese hostage who was held in Syria for over four months, still can’t believe he is in the safety of his home with his family in Beirut. “My feelings are indescribable, I haven’t slept all night ... and I am really thrilled to be with my family again. My kids, my wife and my mother have been really anxious in my absence. I just hope the remaining hostages will be freed,” he told The Daily Star Thursday.

In his neighborhood of Hay al-Sellom in Beirut’s southern suburbs, jubilant crowds welcomed Ibrahim’s return, which came after months of mediation and pressure from both Lebanese and Turkish officials.

Ibrahim, 47, arrived in Lebanon from Turkey Wednesday night.

Syrian rebels snatched Ibrahim and 10 other Lebanese outside Aleppo while returning from a pilgrimage in Iran on May 22. Hussein Ali Omar, the first hostage to be freed, was released in late August.

His captors demanded that Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hasan Nasrallah apologize to the Syrian people for his party’s support of Syrian President Bashar Assad.

Speaking about his daily routine while in captivity, Ibrahim said his captors had treated him decently and secured him medication due to his health problems.

“The kidnappers didn’t mistreat us or anything, but it is really hard for one to be deprived of his freedom,” said Ibrahim, a father of three.

“On the contrary, they treated us like guests. We ate and slept well, and got medical care when needed. They even got me a private nurse to look after me because I suffered from some health problems,” he added.

Ibrahim said there was little to do while in captivity, and “the time seemed to pass slowly.”

“We use to spend most of it smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee and tea,” he said, adding that “we were mostly isolated from everything happening around us.”

Ibrahim said one of the restrictions that annoyed him the most was the ban on watching television.

“The kidnapper didn’t allow us to watch TV,” he said. “They did break the rule on a couple of occasions, mainly during the release of the first hostage Hussein Omar.”

Talking about his kidnappers, he said they were friendly but discrete about security issues and negotiations.

Asked about media reports quoting one of the kidnappers as saying that the release of the remaining nine hostages had been halted because of their alleged ties to Hezbollah, Awad said: “They didn’t mention anything of the sort in front of us,” adding that the hostages were never questioned about ties to Hezbollah.

Hezbollah has denied any links with the 11 Lebanese.

Ibrahim’s journey to Beirut began Tuesday morning, when his captors drove him from the town of Azaz, leaving him at the Turkish border crossing Kilis. From there, Turkish intelligence personnel transferred him to Gaziantep, from where he traveled to Ankara.

After spending 24 hours in Ankara, Ibrahim traveled to Istanbul and then to Beirut accompanied by two Lebanese Interior Ministry officials.

Upon arrival at the Rafik Hariri International Airport Wednesday night, Ibrahim thanked everyone who played a role in facilitating his release, including former Prime Minister Saad Hariri and the Committee of Muslim Scholars who have been working on the case.

Hariri later telephoned Ibrahim at home to congratulate him on his return to Beirut and also expressed hope all the pilgrims would be brought home soon.

Meanwhile, LBCI TV reported Thursday that the Secretary-General of the Future Movement Ahmad Hariri met with a delegation of the families of the kidnapped pilgrims in Syria and informed them that Saad Hariri was closely following up on their case.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on September 28, 2012, on page 4.




Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (

comments powered by Disqus



Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here