BEIRUT: The Health Ministry announced Thursday it had relayed former Baalbek-Hermel MP Ismail Sukkarieh’s report on postnatal deaths to the judiciary, but said his allegations were “completely untrue.”
Last week, Sukkarieh alleged that eight new mothers had died at different hospitals in the Bekaa Valley after receiving the same injection, Methergine, following cesarean births.
The ministry said the medicine continues to be widely used in Europe and the U.S., refuting Sukkarieh’s claim that it was no longer prescribed in other countries.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals, which makes Methergine, reportedly stopped distributing in the U.S. last year, but the medicine was not recalled.
The ministry called on those concerned with public safety to “avoid spreading rumors that cause panic among pregnant women.”
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on April 05, 2013, on page 4.