HERMEL, Lebanon: A 13-year-old was killed in a shooting incident at the Syria-Lebanon border Sunday after a documentary film crew he was working with came under fire by the Syrian regime forces, a security source told The Daily Star. The documentary crew was filming at the border village of Kfar Zabad when they came under fire, prompting them to stop filming and flee the area.
Basel al-Bakr was fatally wounded and his body transported to a hospital in Taanayel, Bekaa Valley.
Separately in Hermel, a delegation of parties supporting the Syrian regime visited the area in northern Baalbek that was shelled last week.
The delegation held a meeting at Hermel’s public library, including, among others, several March 8 MPs such as Nawwar Sahili, Assem Qanso, Marwan Fares, Ali Moqdad, Kamel Rifai, Ghazi Zeaiter and Emile Rahme.
Sahili urged the High Relief Commission to visit the region and record the damage incurred by the missile attacks, adding that what happened at the border villages was self-defense.
Zeaiter said the government had not taken measures to protect Lebanese residing in the border villages since the crisis in Syria began. He said his visit was meant to reiterate his support for the Syrian army and the Syrian people who are “subject to terrorist attacks by the armed groups.”
Earlier this month, two rockets fired from Syria hit the Hermel district, landing a few meters away from a local hospital. Last Sunday, five rockets landed in Al-Qasr and Hawsh Sayyed Ali and two others struck the heart of Hermel.
The Lebanese Army said in a statement that after the shelling the Army took the necessary measures to identify the source of fire.