BEIRUT: The Higher Islamic Council will make another attempt to discuss a controversial election session Saturday, its deputy leader said Wednesday.
The council’s deputy head, Omar Miskawi, issued a call for it to convene Saturday. In a statement issued Wednesday, Miskawi said his call came after Grand Mufti Mohammad Rashid Qabbani turned down his request to convene the council in January.
Miskawi said that according to decree 18, which regulates the administration of Dar al-Fatwa, the deputy head of the council takes the place of the grand mufti in chairing the council when the latter is not able to assume his responsibilities.
Qabbani insists that the term of the council expired at the end of last year, making all meetings after this date illegal. Contrary to the mufti’s wishes, 21 members of the council who are close to the Future Movement, including Miskawi, extended its term by one year last December.
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on February 14, 2013, on page 4.