Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
SUNDAY, 20 APR 2014
01:52 PM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
22 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Lebanon News
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Kidnappers snatch 12-year-old boy waiting for school bus
Madi heads a meeting of security officials to establish new security measures to address the growing trend of kidnappings.
Madi heads a meeting of security officials to establish new security measures to address the growing trend of kidnappings.
A+ A-

BEIRUT: Gunmen kidnapped a 12-year-old boy Wednesday while he was waiting for a school bus in front of his home in the Beirut suburb of Jnah, security sources told The Daily Star.

The sources said Mohammad Nibal Awada was waiting for his school bus at 7 a.m. when four unidentified gunmen pulled up in a Nissan Sunny with tinted windows and snatched him.

The kidnappers fired one shot in the air, apparently to cover their escape, and headed toward south Lebanon, the sources added.

The boy’s father, Nibal, is a wealthy businessman who owns two dressmaking factories in Lebanon.

Relatives of Awada contacted Prime Minister Najib Mikati and urged him to increase his efforts in securing the release of the boy, Information Minister Walid Daouk said following the Cabinet session. Mikati will personally follow up on the case with the relevant security forces, Daouk added.

Following the news of Nibal’s kidnapping, State Prosecutor Hatem Madi held a meeting with senior security officials at his office and discussed the wave of kidnappings in several areas of Lebanon, the latest of which are Awada in Beirut and Nazih Nassar in the Bekaa Valley.

Nassar was kidnapped earlier this month in the Bekaa Valley on the road between Ferzol and Torbol with a $2 million ransom demanded by his captor's in exchange for his release.

The meeting was attended by the head of the Internal Security Forces Maj. Gen Ashraf Rifi, head of General Security Maj. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim, head of State Security Maj. Gen. George Qaraa, Army Intelligence chief Brig. Edmond Fadel and the head of the Information Branch at the ISF Col. Imad Othman.

A statement released after the meeting said probes had been launched in order to apprehend the kidnappers and rescue the victims. The officials discussed establishing new security measures that would end the growing trend of kidnappings.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on February 21, 2013, on page 4.
Home Lebanon News
 
     
 
Lebanon
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Saturday April 19, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Why Israeli-Palestinian talks fail
Michael Young
Michael Young
Why confuse gibberish with knowledge?
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
Echoes of 1914 characterize the Ukraine crisis
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS