BEIRUT: A report on the recent spree of kidnappings written by Lebanon’s three main security bodies was referred to the country’s leaders, security sources told The Daily Star Saturday.
The report was sent to President Michel Sleiman, Prime Minister Najib Mikati, and Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, as well as relevant security and judicial officials, the sources said.
The report, which was compiled by the Internal Security Forces, the Lebanese Army and General Security and published by An-Nahar newspaper Saturday, said various gangs were behind the spree of kidnappings that have recently disturbed Lebanon’s stability.
It added that the security forces were able to identify 37 members of such gangs, which operate across Lebanon and control their activity from various towns.
“These gang members control their activity from private lairs in their hometowns,” said the report.
“Those gang members also have branches in the southern suburbs of Beirut and they hire former detainees or wanted people to work with them,” it added.
According to the report, the gangsters are of Lebanese, Syrian and Palestinian nationalities.
Since last year a spree of kidnappings has targeted a number of businessmen, women and even children.
Kidnappers often asked for high ransoms to release their captives.
In the most recent case, a 12-year-old boy was snatched at gunpoint in Beirut Wednesday.
The kidnappers of Mohammad Nibal Awada have asked for a $1 million ransom to release him, security forces said.
Lebanese officials have held several meetings to discuss the kidnappings and put an end to such incidents.