Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
SATURDAY, 19 APR 2014
04:59 AM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
20 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Lebanon News
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Awada freed after parents pay $250,000 ransom
Awada is flanked by his parents and brother hours after his release.
Awada is flanked by his parents and brother hours after his release.
A+ A-

BEIRUT: A 12-year-old schoolboy abducted last week was freed early Monday after his family paid the perpetrators a ransom of around $250,000, bringing a happy ending to the latest episode in a series of kidnappings that has shaken the country.

Security sources told The Daily Star that Mohammad Nibal Awada, who was freed at 4:30 a.m., had his hands and legs bound for four days during his captivity and was blindfolded most of the time.

He was snatched at gunpoint Thursday outside his home in Moseitebeh in Beirut while waiting for a school bus. Prime Minister Najib Mikati received Awada and his family later Monday.

Sitting beside his son, Nibal Awada thanked security bodies, including the Army and police as well as Speaker Nabih Berri and Mikati for their efforts to release his son.

“Had security bodies and political parties not applied pressure, I believe he wouldn’t have been released as quickly,” Awada said. He did not allow reporters to speak to his son.

The father refused to divulge the amount of the ransom, but said the kidnappers had demanded a higher ransom at first.

The sources said Awada handed $250,000 to an unidentified man riding a motorcycle under Salim Salam Bridge in Beirut before heading to the Fiat Bridge on the eastern border of the capital to pick up his son.

The father, a wealthy businessman who owns two garment factories, said the perpetrators gave him their “word of honor” that they would release his son upon receiving the ransom.

The sources said security bodies were pursuing the perpetrators after they identified them by tapping their phone conversations with the child’s family. A second abduction also ended Monday, according to the National News Agency, when Qassem Ghaddar said he escaped his captors in the Baalbek region. Ghaddar’s brother had reported him missing Sunday night.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on February 26, 2013, on page 1.
Home Lebanon News
 
     
 
Lebanon
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Friday April 18, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Why Israeli-Palestinian talks fail
Michael Young
Michael Young
Why confuse gibberish with knowledge?
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
Echoes of 1914 characterize the Ukraine crisis
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS