BEIRUT: At least one person has been arrested for involvement in last month’s death of a toddler who was denied admittance to several hospitals.
Social Affairs Minister Wael Abu Faour said Thursday that “arrests have been made” in the case of Moemin al-Mohammad, who eventually died at Tripoli’s Dar al-Shifaa Hospital.
The infant’s parents attempted to admit their son, who was just under 2 months old, to several hospitals, including Dar al-Shifa, but were told they would have to pay approximately $1,000 to do so.
In his capacity as head of the Higher Council for Children, Abu Faour filed criminal charges with General Prosecutor Hatem Madi against those involved in the death.
Aref Shukhaydem, the spokesperson for the Mohammad family, confirmed that at least one person had been arrested, a Dar al-Shifaa employee.
He said the Mohammad family had also filed charges against Dar al-Shifaa’s director, a doctor, and the arrested employee. Shukhaydem added that the family was considering filing a civil suit against the Health Ministry.
For his part, Health Minister Ali Hasan Khalil said his ministry had carried out its own investigation and had passed the results on to the Justice Ministry