BEIRUT

Middle East

Bahrain postpones protesters' death penalty appeal

MANAMA, Bahrain: A civilian court in Bahrain on Monday postponed a highly anticipated ruling on the appeal of two protesters sentenced to death by a security court during a wave of anti-government protests earlier this year.

Meanwhile, another high-profile case resumed on Monday - the retrial of doctors and other medical professionals who treated protesters injured during the Shiite majority's campaign for greater rights in the Sunni-ruled Gulf kingdom.

The medics' trial has been closely watched by rights groups that have criticized Bahrain's prosecution of civilians by the special tribunal, which included military prosecutors and judges. The tribunal was set up under martial law-style rule that was lifted in June.

In the initial trial at the security court, more than a dozen health professionals were convicted and sentenced to prison terms of up to 15 years on charges of attempting to overthrow the monarchy.

However, faced with rising international criticism, authorities subsequently ordered a retrial of the medics in a civilian court.

Both cases figured prominently in the probe by an international panel that investigated Bahrain's unrest. The panel criticized the special security court in its 500-page report released last week. The report detailed abuses in Bahrain's crackdown on protests and recommended authorities review convictions and sentences handed down by the special court.

The two protesters sentenced to death were convicted of murdering two policemen in April. Bahrain's state-run news agency said the Cassation Court on Monday postponed their appeals' hearing until Jan. 9.

During Monday's proceedings against the medics, the prosecutors brought weapons into the courtroom that they said were found in the medical complex where hundreds of protesters were treated during the unrest, according to defense lawyer Jalila al-Sayed.

Al-Sayed told The Associated Press the prosecutors exhibited two machine guns, three boxes of light ammunition, several swords, knives and machetes, which they said were recovered at the state-run Salmaniya Medical Center close to the Pearl Square in the capital Manama after the military in March stormed the hospital.

The square became the epicenter of Bahrain's uprising, inspired by other revolts across the Arab world.

The authorities saw the hospital's mostly Shiite staff - some of whom participated in pro-democracy street marches - as protest sympathizers, although the medics claimed they treated all who needed care.

At least 35 people have died since February when protests began in Bahrain. Hundreds of people have been arrested, tried in the security court or purged from jobs on the strategic island nation, which is home to the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet.

 

Recommended

Related Articles

Entities

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here