BEIRUT

Middle East

Al-Qaeda: Iraq bloodshed marks new campaign

Iraqis inspect the aftermath of a late-night car bombing Monday near a cafe in al-Amin Shiite neighborhood in eastern Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, July 24, 2012. (AP Photo/Khalid Mohammed)

Baghdad: Al-Qaeda’s front group in Iraq said Wednesday that a wave of attacks that killed up to 111 people days earlier marked the launch of a new offensive, as officials said five people died in a car bombing north of Baghdad.

The spate of violence nationwide Monday, which also wounded more than 235 people, was the worst to hit Iraq in more than two and a half years and shattered a relative calm that had held in the lead-up to the holy Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

The Islamic State of Iraq Wednesday claimed the attacks in a statement posted on jihadist forum Honein.

“As part of the new military campaign aimed at recovering territory given up by the Islamic State of Iraq [ISI], the war ministry has sent its sons and the mujahedeen on a sacred offensive during the month of Ramadan,” the group said.

“The operation by the jihadists has stunned the enemy and made him lose his head. It has demonstrated the failings of the security and intelligence services,” it continued.

Last weekend, the group said it would look to retake territory, and appealed for Sunni tribes to provide support and send fighters, in an Internet audio message purportedly left by its leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

The message posted on various jihadist forums said the ISI would begin targeting judges and prosecutors, and try to help its prisoners break out of Iraqi jails.

“We are starting a new stage,” said the voice on the audio message, purportedly that of Baghdadi.

Al-Qaeda in Iraq is regarded by Iraqi officials as weaker than at the peak of its strength in 2006 and 2007, but still capable of spectacular mass-casualty attacks across the country.

Late Tuesday a car bomb in the town of Ad-Dawr, in Salaheddin province north of Baghdad, killed the wife and four children of a police captain, police and medics said.

“Around 10 p.m. (1900 GMT), a car bomb blew up in the garage of the home of a police captain,” a police officer said.

While the police captain had gone out with one of his sons, a terrorist parked the booby-trapped vehicle in the garage, the door of which had been left open.

The attack came a day after Monday’s spate of bombings and shootings, which drew widespread international condemnation.

The wave of violence consisted of at least 29 separate attacks in 19 cities, with most of the unrest concentrated in Baghdad and areas north of the capital.

In the deadliest incidents – roadside bombs and a car bomb followed by a suicide attack targeting emergency responders in the town of Taji, north of Baghdad – at least 42 people were killed and 40 wounded, medical officials said.

U.S. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters Washington condemned the attacks.

“The targeting of innocents is always cowardly,” she said. “It’s particularly reprehensible during this holy month of Ramadan.”

The violence also drew condemnation from the United Nations special envoy to Iraq, the country’s parliament speaker, as well as France, Canada and neighboring Iran

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on July 26, 2012, on page 9.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here