BEIRUT

Middle East

Iran shrugs off UN nuclear chief's 'worrying' comments

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast. (Reuters)

TEHRAN: Iran on Tuesday shrugged off comments by the UN atomic watchdog chief that Tehran's controversial nuclear drive is "worrying," insisting that such concerns can be resolved in "technical-legal" talks.

"If the (International Atomic Energy) Agency takes a rational approach in the talks an agreement is reachable ... (even) quickly," Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said in his weekly press briefing.

"If there are worries they can be resolved in technical-legal talks," he added.

IAEA chief Yukio Amano's comments came after the agency said last Friday it remained "unable" to say all Iranian activities were peaceful and that Tehran had completed installation at its Fordo site, allowing it to significantly ramp up production.

"The situation is worrying but it is important to continue to seek a diplomatic solution," Amano told reporters after talks with French President Francois Hollande on Monday.

The IAEA and Iran have agreed to hold another round of talks on 13 December in Tehran.

Mehmanparast also repeated Iran's denial it is sanitising a suspect military base where the UN atomic watchdog wants to probe evidence of possible weapons research.

Amano said in Baghdad earlier this month that efforts to dismantle traces of possible weapons research at the Parchin site near Tehran were "ongoing."

"It is not possible to clean up nuclear activities and (nuclear) traces will remain," Mehmanparast said. "It is not appropriate for the director of the Agency to make remarks which the experts consider non-technical and not legal."

The IAEA wants Iran to grant it access to Parchin, which it visited twice in 2005 but wants to examine again.

Since the summer, some buildings at the base have been covered in massive tarpaulins to prevent surveillance by Western satellites.

The UN Security Council has passed four rounds of sanctions against Iran's disputed nuclear drive, and the IAEA's board of governors passed a resolution in September again calling on Iran to prove its programme has no military dimension.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here