BEIRUT

Middle East

Egypt standoff between Mursi, prosecutor ends

  • Egypt's General Prosecutor Abdel Maguid Mahmoud speaks to reporters in his office in the High Court in Cairo October 13, 2012. (REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh)

CAIRO: Egypt’s top prosecutor reached an agreement with the country’s president to keep his job Saturday despite earlier attempts to remove him, ending a standoff that had prompted accusations of interference in judicial affairs.

President Mohammad Mursi had ordered Prosecutor General Abdel-Meguid Mahmoud to step down last Thursday in an apparent bid to appease public anger over the acquittals of ex-regime officials accused of orchestrating violence against protesters last year.

Mursi had broad public support for removing Mahmoud, who was appointed under ousted President Hosni Mubarak. But the move created a backlash from judges, who saw the decision as an infringement on the judiciary.

Egyptian law protects the prosecutor general from being fired by the president. To overcome that constraint, Mursi had asked Mahmoud to become ambassador to the Vatican. But Mahmoud refused to be reappointed into the ambassador spot.

Vice President Mahmoud Mekki told reporters after meeting the prosecutor that the president agreed to suspend the decision following a request from the country’s Supreme Judicial Council.

After meeting Mursi and his advisers, Mahmoud told the Associated Press that “a misunderstanding” had been resolved.

Earlier Saturday, Mahmoud defied the order by entering his office in a downtown Cairo courthouse flanked by security and hundreds of judicial officials who came in his support.

Mekki said the procedures to reappoint Mahmoud have been stopped after the appeal by the Council. He said the decision was initially made to avoid popular anger following the acquittal of Mubarak loyalists over their alleged role in a turning point of the 2011 uprising, when camels ridden by Mubarak supporters charged into an opposition crowd.

Mekki dismissed accusations that Mursi was interfering in the judiciary. The move, he said, was to “protect the post” against criticism. In defense of the decision, Mekki said the presidency had announced the decision after initially understanding that Mahmoud had agreed to step down.

“There was confusion. The acceptance was not complete, was not clear,” Mekki told reporters.

Mahmoud returned to his office after the meeting with Mursi. At a news conference later, hundreds of judges came out to congratulate him for retaining the job. Mahmoud said he had been threatened, a charge the presidency denies.

An independent daily’s online headline read: “The judges win in the battle of the prosecutor general.”

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on October 15, 2012, on page 9.
Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here