Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
FRIDAY, 25 APR 2014
08:03 AM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
22 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Middle East
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Clinton attempts to shield Obama from criticism over Libya attack
Associated Press
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton pauses while delivering a speech after meeting Peru's President Ollanta Humala in Lima, Peru, Monday, Oct. 15, 2012. Taking responsibility for security at the U.S.  (AP Photo/Karel Navarro)
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton pauses while delivering a speech after meeting Peru's President Ollanta Humala in Lima, Peru, Monday, Oct. 15, 2012. Taking responsibility for security at the U.S. (AP Photo/Karel Navarro)
A+ A-

LIMA: U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has spoken out in the face of Republican criticism of the Obama administration’s handling of last month’s attack at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

The secretary has said that she – not the White House – is responsible for security at all of America’s diplomatic missions. “I take responsibility,” Clinton told CNN. “I’m in charge of the State Department’s 60,000-plus people all over the world [at] 275 posts.”

With only weeks before the presidential election, outrage has crystallized around Vice President Joe Biden’s claim in last week’s debate with Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan that “we weren’t told” about requests for extra security at the consulate where assailants killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

Congressional hearings revealed that the State Department was aware of, and rejected, several requests for increased security in Benghazi. Spokesmen for both the State Department and the White House took pains Friday to make clear that Biden’s “we” referred to the White House.

Clinton backed up Biden’s assertion. “The president and the vice president wouldn’t be knowledgeable about specific decisions that are made by security professionals,” she said Monday.

Clinton told Fox News Channel that “the decisions about security are made by security professionals. But we’re going to review everything to be sure we’re doing what needs to be done in an increasingly risky environment.”

There are three separate investigations into the attack going on now: an FBI probe into the deaths of the four Americans, an independent inquiry by a panel appointed by Clinton and the congressional hearings.

Initial reports attributed the cause of the violent attack as one of a number of spontaneous demonstrations in several Muslim countries over a film produced in the U.S. that denigrated the Prophet Mohammad. The U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Susan Rice, insisted on Sunday talk shows that the investigation up to that point showed no indication of a planned attack. Within days, the White House reversed its position, saying new findings indicated the attack was intentional and coordinated.

“In the wake of an attack like this, in the fog of war, there’s always going to be confusion,” Clinton told CNN. “And I think it is absolutely fair to say that everyone had the same intelligence. Everyone who spoke tried to give the information that they had. As time has gone on, that information has changed. We’ve gotten more detail, but that’s not surprising. That always happens.”

Secretary Clinton added, “What I want to avoid is some kind of political gotcha or blame game.”

Three Republican senators said Clinton’s claim was “a laudable gesture,” but they put the responsibility for the Benghazi attack and what they called “an escalating pattern of attacks this year in Benghazi” squarely on President Barack Obama and his national security team.

“If the president was truly not aware of this rising threat level in Benghazi, then we have lost confidence in his national security team, whose responsibility it is to keep the president informed,” Sens. John McCain, Lindsey Graham and Kelly Ayotte said in a statement released late Monday. “But if the President was aware of these earlier attacks in Benghazi prior to the events of September 11, 2012, then he bears full responsibility for any security failures that occurred.”

Bloomberg News reported Sunday that Ambassador Stevens’ father said he believes his son’s death is being investigated adequately and said it would be “abhorrent to make this into a campaign issue.”

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on October 17, 2012, on page 9.
Home Middle East
 
     
 
Libya / United States of America
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Thursday April 24, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Israel shows Zionism’s true colors
Michael Young
Michael Young
For Christians, blessed are the dividers
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
An Iran deal is close, but we’re not there yet
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS