BEIRUT

Middle East

Libyan protesters demand halt to Bani Walid violence

Libyan militiamen acting as police detain a protester in front of the fence surrounding Tripoli's parliament Sunday Oct. 21 2012 . A few hundred protesters from the Libyan town of Bani Walid rallied in front of parliament in Tripoli against the weeks of siege of their hometown before soldiers fired heavy machine guns in the air to disperse the crowd. (AP Photo/Paul Schemm)

TRIPOLI: About 500 protesters broke into the grounds of Libya’s parliament building Sunday to demand an end to violence in Bani Walid, a former stronghold of Moammar Gadhafi that is being shelled by militiamen from a rival town. Militias, many from Misrata and aligned with the Defense Ministry, have been shelling the town of 70,000 people for several days. State news agency LANA said Sunday 22 people had been killed and 200 wounded in the fighting.

“We are here to demand the government find a peaceful solution for the tribal war that is happening in Bani Walid,” protester Nasser Ehdein said.

Libya’s new rulers have led the nation to elections but have struggled to impose their authority on a country awash with weapons a year after Gadhafi was captured and killed.

Underscoring the chaos in the country, there were conflicting reports over the weekend over the fate of Gadhafi’s former spokesman and his son.

While Misrata spent weeks under siege by Gadhafi forces in last year’s war, Bani Walid was one of the towns that remained loyal to Gadhafi longest. It remains isolated from the rest of Libya and former rebels say it still harbors support for the old government.

Security forces shot rounds into the air as they held their positions at the doors of the building, while elected members of the General National Congress met inside.

Ehdein said most of the protesters were residents of Tripoli who had family in or hailed from Bani Walid.

This is the second time protesters have broken into the grounds of the assembly since it took power in the summer. The first time was on Oct. 4 when a group of protesters who believed their town was underrepresented in a proposed Libyan government stormed the assembly as it prepared to scrutinize the prime minister-elect’s nominations.

Bani Walid militia leader Abdelkarim Ghomaid said the attacks were continuing in the town, 140 km south of Tripoli. “The shelling is coming from all sides,” he said by phone.

A Bani Walid resident said by phone: “Fighting is continuing today. There is smoke rising over certain parts of the city.”

Outside Bani Walid, hundreds of vehicles lined up in the village of Weshtata, 80 km from Tripoli, waiting to be checked by government forces as families fled the fighting.

“We are escaping the danger of the rockets, the shrapnel, and the deaths inside. There hasn’t been electricity for days,” said one man who had his family in a pickup truck.

The feud between the towns was inflamed by the death of rebel Omran Shaaban after two months in detention in Bani Walid. Shaaban, from Misrata, was the man who found Gadhafi hiding in a drain pipe in Sirte on Oct. 20, 2011.

Libya’s congress ordered the Defense and Interior ministries to find those responsible for abducting Shaaban and suspected of torturing him. It gave Bani Walid a deadline to hand them over.

Hundreds of families have also fled the fighting in Bani Walid to Tarhouna, some 80 km away, where a statement from the prime minister’s office Saturday said militias had captured former Gadhafi spokesman Moussa Ibrahim.

However, in an audio clip posted on Facebook, a person purporting to be Ibrahim, who held news conferences in Tripoli during the war, dismissed news of his arrest.

There was no independent verification of the authenticity or timing of the Facebook post, dated Oct. 20.

Some officials said Gadhafi’s son Khamis had been captured in Bani Walid and died after being taken to Misrata, however there was no official written statement from the government on this, as with previous captures of former regime figures.

On Sunday, Deputy Prime Minister Mustafa Abushagur said on his official Twitter account the announcement of Ibrahim’s arrest and Khamis’ death was made without confirmation of the news.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here