BEIRUT

Middle East

Questions abound about anti-Islam filmmaker

Palestinians burn a U.S. flag during a protest against the film in front of the United Nations headquarters in Gaza City.

LOS ANGELES: The man behind video exerpts from an anti-Muslim movie that provoked mobs in Egypt and Libya said Wednesday that he has gone into hiding.

However, doubts rose about the man’s exact identity amid a flurry of false claims about his background and role in the purported film. The filmmaker, who identified himself in a phone interview with the Associated Press as Sam Bacile, said he is an Israeli-born, Jewish writer and director of “Innocence of Muslims.” Bacile was the name used to publish excerpts of the movie online as early as July 2.

But some key facts about Bacile’s background and role in the film crumbled Wednesday as a Christian activist involved in the film project said Bacile was a pseudonym, that he was not Jewish or Israeli, and that a group of Americans of Mideast origin collaborated on the film. Officials in Israel also said there was no record of Bacile as an Israeli citizen.

Doubts also mounted about the provenance of the film. Several Hollywood and California film industry groups and permit agencies said they had no records of the project.

All that currently exists of the film are 13 minutes of excerpts on YouTube, in English and Arabic language versions. While the excerpts were still viewable online in the U.S. Wednesday, they vanished from the Web in Egypt. Cairo residents who tried to view the YouTube site instead got a warning that “this content is not available in your country due to a legal complaint.”

In his brief interview with the AP, the man who identified himself as Bacile defiantly called Islam “a cancer,” and said that he intended the film to be a provocative political statement condemning the religion.

But several facts he provided about himself soon proved false or doubtful. Bacile told AP he was 56, but identified himself on his YouTube profile as 74.

A Riverside, California, Christian activist who said he was a consultant and worked with Bacile on the film told The Atlantic Monthly Wednesday that Bacile’s name was a pseudonym, and that he was not Jewish or Israeli. The activist, Steve Klein, said that behind the film were Americans who had lived in several Mideast countries.

“They’re from Syria, Turkey, Pakistan, there are some from Egypt. Some are Copts but the vast majority are evangelical,” Klein told the Atlantic.

Klein told AP Tuesday that the filmmaker is concerned for family members who live in Egypt. Bacile declined to confirm that suggestion.

Klein told AP that he promised to help Bacile make the movie but warned him that “you’re going to be the next Theo van Gogh.” Van Gogh was a Dutch filmmaker killed by a Muslim extremist in 2004 after making a film that was perceived as insulting to Islam.

“We went into this knowing this was probably going to happen,” Klein said.

Bacile told AP he was a real estate developer and an Israeli Jew. But Israeli officials said they had not heard of him and there was no record of him being a citizen.

The name Bacile also does not appear in searches of California state licenses, including the Department of Real Estate.

Directors’ and producers’ groups in Los Angeles said they had no record of Bacile and California’s state film commission said no permits had been issued to Bacile or “Innocence of Muslims.”

The only sparse evidence indicating that an entire version of “Innocence of Muslims” was filmed beyond its 13.5-minute trailer came in comments from an employee of the Vine Theater, a Hollywood Boulevard theater that was padlocked Wednesday. The theater employee, who declined to identify himself, said that a version of “Innocence of Muslims” ran briefly several months ago at the theater and that a man whose first name was Sam had brought the film to the theater.

“This is a political movie,” Bacile told the AP. “The U.S. lost a lot of money and a lot of people in wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but we’re fighting with ideas.”

Bacile said he believes the movie will help his native land by exposing Islam’s flaws to the world. “Islam is a cancer, period,” he said repeatedly.

The two-hour movie cost $5 million to make and was financed with the help of more than 100 Jewish donors, said Bacile.

The film claims Mohammad was a fraud. The trailer, posted in an original English version and another dubbed into Egyptian Arabic, shows an amateur cast performing a wooden dialogue of insults disguised as revelations about Mohammad, whose obedient followers are presented as a cadre of goons.

It depicts Mohammad as a feckless philanderer who approved of child sexual abuse, among other overtly insulting claims that have caused outrage.

Though Bacile was apologetic about the American who was killed as a result of the outrage over his film, he blamed lax embassy security and the perpetrators of the violence. “I feel the security system [at the embassies] is no good,” said Bacile. “America should do something to change it.”

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on September 13, 2012, on page 9.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here