WARSAW: Poland on Wednesday voiced reservations about military action in Syria, in a rare departure from towing the same line as the United States.
"I'm not convinced that an armed attack will stop the crimes," Prime Minister Donald Tusk told reporters.
"I understand the reasoning, but I don't share the belief and enthusiasm of those who think that such an operation could bring about positive effects."
Tusk's announcement that Poland does not plan to take part in a military intervention came as the United States and allies press their case for such action against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's regime -- despite stern warnings from Syrian allies Russia and Iran.
The UN-Arab League envoy to Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, meanwhile confirmed that "some kind of substance" was used in an August 21 attack in the war-torn country, killing hundreds of people.
Poland was a major contributor of troops for the US-led wars in Iraq and later Afghanistan, where it still maintains 1,600 soldiers.
But its president said earlier this month that the EU member would limit its participation in overseas military missions and concentrate on modernising its forces at home.
"The consistent policy of sending Polish soldiers to the other side of the world is over," President Bronislaw Komorowski said at a mid-month military parade.