Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
MONDAY, 21 APR 2014
12:47 PM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
21 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Middle East
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Yemen TV airs horrific images of Qaeda-claimed assault
Agence France Presse
This photo provided by Yemen's Defense Ministry shows a crater and damaged vehicles after an explosion at the Defense Ministry complex in Sanaa, Yemen, Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013.  (AP Photo/Yemen's Defense Ministry)
This photo provided by Yemen's Defense Ministry shows a crater and damaged vehicles after an explosion at the Defense Ministry complex in Sanaa, Yemen, Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013. (AP Photo/Yemen's Defense Ministry)
A+ A-

SANAA: Yemeni state television has aired horrific images of an Al-Qaeda-claimed assault on a defence ministry complex in Sanaa showing the assailants executing civilians and medics in cold blood.

The footage, taken from surveillance cameras, were aired on Yemen TV late on Wednesday and show the attack and its aftermath.

Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula has claimed the attack that took place on December 5 in broad daylight and killed 56 people.

The images show a car packed with explosives detonated at the gate to the complex, sending soldiers, medics and civilians gathered inside the compound running for cover.

After the blast, heavily armed militants dressed in combat fatigues are seen wandering through the corridors of the complex, shooting anyone they see, including a wounded female nurse who appears to be looking for help.

Another gunman in military uniform calmly approaches a group of people huddled in a corridor after the initial blast, before pulling a hand grenade from his jacket and hurling it at them.

The group scrabbles for cover, before the grenade explodes and smoke blocks the screen.

Elsewhere in the complex, a man with a young girl are seen looking for a place to hide. Their fate is not shown, while a doctor is seen running to rescue a wounded man before one of the attackers shoots both dead.

A preliminary report into the attack had said most of the attackers were Saudi.

Investigators had already said the assailants wore military fatigues and penetrated the sprawling Sanaa complex in the confusion created when the suicide bomber rammed his vehicle into the gate.

They said the bodies of 12 attackers were recovered after security forces retook the area.

Among the dead were medics from the Philippines, Germany, Vietnam and India. Civilian patients as well as soldiers were also killed, Yemen's supreme security committee had said.

 
Home Middle East
 
     
 
Yemen
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Monday April 21, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Why Israeli-Palestinian talks fail
Michael Young
Michael Young
Why confuse gibberish with knowledge?
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
Echoes of 1914 characterize the Ukraine crisis
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS