Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
WEDNESDAY, 16 APR 2014
10:24 AM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
23 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Middle East
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Iran FM conveys 'discontent' to Kerry over blacklist
Agence France Presse
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, right, and his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov arrive to their joint press conference in Tehran, Iran, Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2013. (AP Photo/Ebrahim Noroozi)
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, right, and his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov arrive to their joint press conference in Tehran, Iran, Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2013. (AP Photo/Ebrahim Noroozi)
A+ A-

TEHRAN: Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has expressed Iran's "discontent" to his US counterpart over the expansion of a blacklist of Iranian firms following a landmark nuclear accord, media reported Monday.

Iran has accused Washington of going against the spirit of the deal reached in November by adding a dozen overseas companies and individuals to its blacklist for evading sanctions imposed on Tehran over its controversial nuclear programme.

Under the deal reached in Geneva in November, Iran agreed to freeze some of its nuclear activities in return for some sanctions relief for a six-month period. The agreement is aimed at buying time for a comprehensive accord.

US officials maintain the expansion of the blacklist does not entail additional sanctions, but merely the enforcement of the existing sanctions regime, which helped bring Iran to the negotiating table.

But on Monday the Fars news agency, quoting a foreign ministry statement, said Zarif had "expressed Iran's discontent" during a telephone conversation with US Secretary of State John Kerry, without specifying when the two spoke.

The IRNA state news agency said it was the first conversation between the two top diplomats since the Geneva agreement was reached on November 24.

A State Department official confirmed the telephone call, saying they "discussed the importance of moving forward on implementation of the Joint Plan of Action they agreed to in Geneva and of maintaining a constructive atmosphere as the negotiations continue."

"The conversation was focused on the way forward," the official said, adding that the two spoke during Kerry's overnight Friday to Saturday flight from Israel to Vietnam.

The blacklist decision led to the suspension of technical negotiations in Vienna last week between Iran and the so-called P5+1 -- the United States, Britain, France, Russia and China plus Germany.

But on Sunday, Tehran said the negotiations would continue despite the move.

"We are pursuing the negotiations seriously and of course we will give a well-considered, purposeful, smart and proper reaction to any inappropriate and unconstructive move," Zarif wrote on his Facebook page.

Western nations have long suspected Iran is pursing nuclear weapons alongside its civilian programme, allegations denied by Tehran, which insists its nuclear activities are entirely peaceful.

 
Home Middle East
 
     
 
Iran
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Tuesday April 15, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Silencing Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s hate talk
Michael Young
Michael Young
The presidential chess game has begun
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
China moves to the scary side of its boom
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS