Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
SUNDAY, 20 APR 2014
01:49 AM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
22 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Middle East
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Palestinians rule out extending peace talks
Agence France Presse
US Secretary of State John Kerry  (C) looks on as chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erakat (L) and Israel's Justice Minister Tzipi Livni (R) shake hands after speaking at the State Department in Washington on July 30, 2013. AFP PHOTO/Nicholas KAMM
US Secretary of State John Kerry (C) looks on as chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erakat (L) and Israel's Justice Minister Tzipi Livni (R) shake hands after speaking at the State Department in Washington on July 30, 2013. AFP PHOTO/Nicholas KAMM
A+ A-

RAMALLAH: Palestinian leaders have ruled out the possibility of extending peace talks with Israel beyond their nine-month timeframe, chief negotiator Saeb Erakat said on Monday.

"We turn down any extension," Erakat told the official Voice of Palestine radio station, adding that some of his recent remarks about the matter had been misinterpreted.

"I said that if we reach an agreement on all final status issues, we could continue to discuss the details," he said.

At a dinner with journalists on Wednesday, Erakat had raised the possibility of talks being prolonged for up to a year if parties agree on key issues by the time the current talks wrap up on April 29.

The US State Department welcomed his statement, while saying the nine-month schedule still remained in place.

At an Arab League meeting in Cairo on Saturday, Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas "stressed his rejection of all partial and temporary solutions and that the solution should resolve all final status issues, within nine months which cannot be extended, expiring April 29," said Erakat.

During this meeting, the pan-Arab bloc gave "its full support to the Palestinian position," the Palestinian negotiator told the radio station on the phone from Qatar.

Outgoing Palestinian negotiator Mohammad Shtayyeh said Thursday that the talks "are not going to take us anywhere".

"The Israelis want to replace occupation by force with occupation by an invitation, with our signature, and it will never happen," he added, calling on the international community to intensify pressure on Israel.

Palestinian negotiators have repeatedly warned it would be impossible to continue talks if Israel keeps on demolishing Palestinian homes and constructing settlements.

US Secretary of State John Kerry managed to revive the Israeli-Palestinian talks on July 29 after a three-year hiatus.

 
Home Middle East
 
     
 
Palestine / Israel
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Saturday April 19, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Why Israeli-Palestinian talks fail
Michael Young
Michael Young
Why confuse gibberish with knowledge?
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
Echoes of 1914 characterize the Ukraine crisis
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS