Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
SATURDAY, 19 APR 2014
11:42 AM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
22 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Middle East
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Truce agreed in besieged town near Damascus
Agence France Presse
An injured Free Syrian Army fighter uses crutches as he makes his way down a street in Jobar, Damascus December 24, 2013. Picture taken December 24, 2013. REUTERS/Rafat Beram
An injured Free Syrian Army fighter uses crutches as he makes his way down a street in Jobar, Damascus December 24, 2013. Picture taken December 24, 2013. REUTERS/Rafat Beram
A+ A-

BEIRUT: The Syrian government and rebels in a besieged town near Damascus have reached a landmark truce agreement to allow aid access to trapped civilians, an activist told AFP on Wednesday.

Under the truce in Moadamiyet al-Sham, the official flag was raised over the area on Wednesday and will be flown for 72 hours, in exchange for much-needed food supplies for thousands of trapped civilians, said Abu Malek of the town's opposition Local Council.

"A truce came into force on Wednesday, and the people have accepted as a gesture of goodwill to fly the regime flag over the town's water towers," Abu Malek said via the Internet.

"Food should be allowed into the town on Thursday. If this goes well, we will hand over the heavy weapons, but the regime army will not enter the town," he added.

"Then in the next phase, people who were displaced should be allowed to return home, without being arrested, and the checkpoints around the city must be removed," said Abu Malek.

A source close to President Bashar al-Assad's regime confirmed that there had been a truce agreement, but said the army would enter into the town in order to ensure all the weapons had been handed over.

According to Abu Malek, Moadamiyet al-Sham residents are divided over the agreement.

Some believe "it is more important to feed the civilian women and children," while another, more radical section of the opposition, does not want to be perceived as giving in, he said.

"But either way the revolution continues, and we will see what the regime has to offer. If they honour the conditions, then very well. If not, then it will be back to fighting," said Abu Malek.

He noted that on Wednesday, there was no shelling on the town for the first time in many months.

In October, some 3,800 civilians were evacuated from Moadamiyet al-Sham by the Red Crescent in coordination with the Syrian authorities and the opposition.

According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Moadamiyet al-Sham was originally home to some 15,000 people.

 
Home Middle East
 
     
 
Syria
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Friday April 18, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Why Israeli-Palestinian talks fail
Michael Young
Michael Young
Why confuse gibberish with knowledge?
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
Echoes of 1914 characterize the Ukraine crisis
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS