BEIRUT

Middle East

More than 150 killed over past two days in battle for Aleppo airport

Members of the FSA take up positions during clashes with forces loyal to Assad in the old city of Aleppo.

BEIRUT: Intense clashes between the Syrian army and rebel fighters near the country’s second-largest airport killed around 150 people in recent days, anti-regime activists said Friday, pointing to the significance both sides in the country’s civil war place on controlling key infrastructure.

The battle for the international airport near Aleppo, Syria’s largest city, resembles other battles over strategic assets that could provide an edge in the larger fight for the country.

This week, rebels seized a hydroelectric dam and a major oil field, cutting off President Bashar Assad’s regime from key resources necessary for its long term survival.

Activists also reported Friday that rebels had seized an air defense base and fought near two other army installations in Syria’s north.

Rebels have been trying for months to capture Aleppo’s international airport, which lies east of the city in a complex with a smaller military airfield and an army base charged with protecting the area.

The base, home to the Syrian army’s 80th Brigade, fell to rebel forces Wednesday, and fighting has continued over the airports since, with both sides shelling each other’s positions.

The Britain-based opposition group, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported Friday that some 150 people had been killed in the fighting over the last two days, roughly half of them rebels and the rest government troops.

“The operation will continue until we control the airport and Nairab,” Col. Abdel-Jabbar al-Aqidi, commander of the rebels’ Military Council in Aleppo, told pan-Arab Al-Arabiya TV.

If the rebels were to capture the two airports, it would be a symbolic blow to the regime and could shift the strategic balance in northern Syria.

The regime has used the airports to ferry supplies to its forces bogged down in the stalemated fight for Aleppo, though recent clashes near the airport have halted air traffic.

Rebel leaders hope their forces will someday use the airports to fly in aid and other supplies – a scenario that for the moment appears unlikely.

The rebels have captured military airports before but have never managed to use captured aircraft.

And the airport would remain vulnerable to attack by Assad’s air force, which regularly bombs areas after the rebels take them.

Elsewhere, the Observatory reported Friday that rebels had seized an air defense base in the village of Hasil, southeast of Aleppo, and were clashing with the army at the nearby Kuwiras air base and around the Wadi al-Deif army base in Idlib province.

The relentless violence has led to deteriorating humanitarian conditions for millions of Syrians.

In Geneva, the U.N. World Food program said some 40,000 Syrians had fled the northeastern town of Shadadah. Rebels seized the town and most of a nearby oil filed in days of clashes this week.

Most of those who have fled went to the provincial capital of Hassakeh province, which produces most of Syria’s oil.

The U.N. says nearly 70,000 people have been killed since Syria’s crisis started in March, 2011.

Syria’s conflict has posed a dilemma for the international community.

While the U.S. and many Arab and European countries have called on Assad to leave power, Russia, China and Iran continue to back the regime. Russia, which has been Syria’s primary arms provider for decades, has said it will continue to fulfill its arms contracts.

International diplomacy has failed to stop the violence and calls for the sides to negotiate a political solution have gone nowhere.

The opposition’s main umbrella group, the Syrian National Coalition, said in a statement Friday it would not allow Assad or members of his security services to participate in talks to end the crisis.

It did not rule out, however, dialogue with some members of his ruling Baath party, welcoming talks with “honorable people” from all parts of society who “have not been embroiled in the crimes against the Syrian people.”

Still, neither side has proposed a concrete plan for talks.

In Turkey, Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu proposed that the U.N. Security Council set up humanitarian zones that would be under joint government-opposition control to facilitate the delivery of aid to Syrian civilians.

He did not elaborate on the proposal, which he mentioned in an address to Turkish and E.U. legislators, and criticized world powers for failing to agree on how to stop Syria’s war.

“If the U.N. Security Council won’t act with the death toll in Syria reaching 70,000 and with millions being left hungry and begging for bread in winter conditions, then when will it act?” Davutoglu asked.

The Syrian government, for its part, sent a letter to the United Nations blasting Turkey’s “destructive” role in the conflict. The Syrian Foreign Ministry’s letter accused Turkey of harboring “terrorists from Al-Qaeda’s network,” the SANA news agency said.

The ministry also accused Ankara of taking “increasingly hostile stances toward Syria by blocking ... measures taken by Damascus for a political solution to the crisis.”

The letter, published by SANA, also criticized Turkey for “pressuring Syrian opposition members to refuse a plan” proposed in a speech by Assad on Jan. 9.

“Turkey supports and publicly justifies terrorist, destructive acts” against Syria, said the ministry in letters addressed to the U.N. Security Council and to Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

“Turkey has turned its territory into camps used to house, train, finance and infiltrate armed terrorist groups, chief among them the Al-Qaeda network and the Nusra Front,” said the letter.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on February 16, 2013, on page 1.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here