BEIRUT

Middle East

Dubai closes the book on Internet beating case

  • FILE - This Saturday, July 20, 2013 file photo shows sun setting behind minarets of a mosque a few minutes before Iftar, the meal served at dusk when Muslims break their day-long fast during the month of Ramadan, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.(AP Photo/Kamran Jebreili, File)

DUBAI: Dubai's public prosecutor says all charges have been dropped in a high-profile dispute that landed an Indian man in jail for posting Internet video of an apparent road rage beating.

The arrest brought a spotlight on the United Arab Emirates' laws defining the limits of the public domain and citizen journalism.

Sunday's statement from Dubai's chief prosecutor, Eissa al-Humaidan, says the case was closed after all sides withdrew their complaints.

The Indian man was arrested earlier this month on charges of "sharing" possible evidence of a criminal act. But pressure also came from the family of the Emirati man shown striking a South Asian driver in a roadway dispute.

The family complained the Internet video defamed their relative.

 
Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here