BEIRUT

Middle East

Tunisia PM: no proof Tunisian tied to Libya attack

Tunisia's Prime Minister Ali Larayedh (L) speaks during a meeting with former Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali and members of the new and former government at the government palace in Tunis March 14, 2013. (REUTERS/Zoubeir Souissi)

TUNIS, Tunisia: Tunisia's new prime minister says there is no evidence to link a Tunisian to the September attack on a U.S. diplomatic mission in Libya that killed the American ambassador and three others.

Prime Minister Ali Larayedh told The Associated Press: "May the party who has proof step forward."

Tunisian authorities said last year that they "strongly suspected" that the Tunisian, Ali Harzi, 28, was linked to the Sept. 11 Benghazi attack that killed U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens.

He was arrested in Turkey and extradited to Tunisia in October. But a judge released him in January for lack of evidence.

Larayedh also said Wednesday that U.S.-Tunisian relations are "excellent" even after a separate September attack on the U.S. Embassy in Tunisia by radicals who set fire to part of that facility.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here