BEIRUT

Middle East

Jordanian force cordons off Syrian refugee camp

Syrian refugees watch the convoy of U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees Antonio Guterres as he visits Al Zaatri refugee camp in the Jordanian city of Mafraq, near the border with Syria March 13, 2013. REUTERS/Muhammad Hamed

AMMAN, Jordan: Jordan has set up a security cordon around a sprawling Syrian refugee camp in the country's north in an effort to curb rising crime and lawlessness among its residents, a Jordanian official said Wednesday.

The cordon around the Zaatari camp, which is now home to over 100,000 Syrians who fled the civil war in their country, will be enforced by members of Jordan's desert patrol force, said Anmar Hmoud.

Hmoud, a government spokesman for Syrian refugee affairs, said it will prevent refugees from leaving Zaatari or Jordanians from entering the camp without authorization.

The move follows reports from the camp, which is near the Jordan-Syria border, that its often-impoverished refugees are increasingly engaging in drug trafficking, prostitution and other crimes.

The desert patrol, known as the Badia force, is recruited from Bedouin tribes that live in the area, said Hmoud.

He did not elaborate on what arms the force would carry, the details of their duties or how they would enforce the security cordon

Hmoud said the figure of Syrian refugees at Zaatari has reached 137,595 - almost a third of more than 450,000 Syrian refugees who have found shelter in Jordan. The remainder live among relatives and on their own means in nearby Jordanian towns.

The overcrowded Zaatari has stretched Jordan's resources. Conditions in the wind-swept desert camp have also deteriorated since it opened last July and there have been several incidents of rioting in the camp and clashes with Jordanian police.

Last week, U.N. refugee chief Antonio Guterres said his agency was working with Jordan to bolster security at the camp.

The camp has also had several fires break out in recent months, including a blaze that killed a Syrian man.

Hmoud confirmed that another fire erupted at Zaatari on Wednesday, destroying 15 tents. He said there were no injuries or fatalities in the latest blaze, which was caused by illegal extension of high tension wires to the tents in the camp.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here