BEIRUT

Middle East

Sudan ready to hold direct talks with southern rebels: minister

Sudanese Defence Minister Abdelrahim Mohamed Hussein gives a press conference at Khartoum airport on March 20, 2013 following his return from Addis Ababa. (AFP PHOTO / EBRAHIM HAMID)

KHARTOUM/JUBA: Sudan made its first offer to hold direct talks with rebels on its southern border with South Sudan Wednesday.

The SPLM-North rebels operating in Sudan’s Blue Nile and South Kordofan states said the offer extended by Sudan Defense Minister Abdel-Raheem Mohammad Hussein was “progress,” but that it was too early to talk about peace.

Hussein said Khartoum would be willing to have discussions with SPLM-N, providing the dialogue was based on protocols set out in a 2005 peace agreement with South Sudan.

“We are ready to meet with the northern sector [of the SPLM], on the condition that the dialogue and discussion is based on the Comprehensive Peace Agreement and the protocol for the two areas as a reference,” Hussein told reporters at Khartoum’s airport Wednesday.

Sudan has previously refused to meet the rebels and has accused South Sudan of backing the SPLM-N, a former ally of the SPLM whose decades-long war with Khartoum resulted in the 2005 peace deal and the secession of South Sudan in 2011.

The SPLM-N rebellion to overthrow the rule of Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir began shortly after secession. South Sudan denies backing the SPLM-N.

This month, the two countries agreed on a timeframe to withdraw troops from their disputed, roughly 2,000-km border, something they agreed to do in September but have failed to implement because of lingering tensions.

Neroun Phillip, a member of the SPLM-N negotiations team, told Reuters the breakthrough in talks between Sudan and South Sudan may have encouraged Khartoum to start talks with the rebel group.

He said earlier this month the African Union set an agenda for such talks including a cessation of hostilities to get humanitarian aid into the region as well as make security and political arrangements.

“For Khartoum to directly negotiate with the SPLM-N is progress but the difficulties will come in the details of the talks,” Phillip said.

“It’s too early to talk about peace until the parties sit and agree on some issues.”

Fighting in the two border states has forced hundreds of thousands of people to flee their homes, and complicated ties between Sudan and South Sudan.

The pullback of troops from the border zone was seen as a vital first step to resuming Southern oil exports through Sudan, which both states depend on for revenue and foreign currency.

South Sudan shut off its roughly 350,000 barrel-a-day output in January last year in a dispute with Sudan over how much it should pay to send it through Sudanese pipelines to a Red Sea port.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on March 21, 2013, on page 9.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here