BEIRUT

Middle East

Polish journalist abducted in Syria escaped and is home

(FILES) - Picture taken on January 14, 2010 shows Polish photographer Marcin Suder during an exhibition of his works from Afghanistan in Warsaw. AFP PHOTO/ PAP/ RADEK PIETRUSZKA

WARSAW: A Polish journalist who was taken hostage by Islamist militants in northwest Syria in July managed to escape and has safely returned home, local media reported on Thursday.

Earlier on Thursday Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said on his Twitter account that Marcin Studer was back at home.

The journalist was abducted from a media centre in the rebel-held town of Saraqeb in Idlib province. He was working as a freelancer for Polish photo agency Studio Melon.

The Committee to Protect Journalists says Syria is the most dangerous place in the world for journalists, with at least 39 killed and 21 kidnapped in 2012 by both rebels and government forces.

Most kidnapped journalists have been released, but several remain missing.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here