BEIRUT

Middle East

Google pulls Bomb Gaza game from app store after backlash

Palestinians inspect damages of their house in Rafah's district of Shawkah in the southern Gaza Strip, Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2014.(AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)

SAN FRANCISCO: A mobile game that simulates Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip and invites users to “drop bombs and avoid killing civilians” has been pulled from Google Inc’s app store, a company spokesman said Monday after a public backlash.

“Bomb Gaza,” developed by PlayFTW and still available as an app on Facebook, simulates the on-going conflict between Israel and the Islamist group Hamas, which dominates the Palestinian territory. Players drop bombs from a fighter jet while dodging missiles from Hamas fighters in black and green masks.

“We remove apps from Google Play that violate our policies,” a spokesman for Google said, confirming that the game had been removed from the Google Play app store. Google did not specify which policy the game had violated.

Google Play has rules that prohibit content that amounts to hate speech, bullying and violence and lets users flag abusive content.

The game triggered outraged comments on the Google app store review page as well as on Facebook. It had been downloaded about 1,000 times since its July 29 launch, according to Britain’s Guardian newspaper.

“You disgust me,” Saj Ishaq wrote on PlayFTW’s public Facebook page.

Facebook did not immediately respond to requests for comment and PlayFTW could not be immediately reached.

“Please take this off the Play store. It is offensive and I am really let down that Google actually allowed this. If this game isn’t removed I’m starting a Google boycott,” Oma Al, a user, wrote on the game’s review page, according to the Guardian.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on August 06, 2014, on page 9.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

A mobile game that simulates Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip and invites users to "drop bombs and avoid killing civilians" has been pulled from Google Inc's app store, a company spokesman said Monday after a public backlash.

Google did not specify which policy the game had violated.

Google Play has rules that prohibit content that amounts to hate speech, bullying and violence and lets users flag abusive content.

The game triggered outraged comments on the Google app store review page as well as on Facebook.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here