Soldiers of the African Union's AMISOM check weapons and ammunition seized after heavy fighting at the Halane military base in Mogadishu August 15, 2014. (AFP Photo/Abdulfitah Hashi Nor)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Combat shook Mogadishu early Friday as government troops launched a dawn attack on a house belonging to a former warlord as part of a disarmament campaign.The dead included four civilians, two militia members and one soldier, said police officer Capt.Launched last week, the Somali government's disarmament campaign is an attempt to reduce the number of weapons in the violence-prone city. The government says some 500 guns were recovered during the first four operations. However, some opposition politicians believe that the weapons drive is an attempt to silence or neutralize opponents of the government.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE