CAIRO: Two buses collided Friday near a Red Sea resort in Egypt, killing at least 33 people, a health official said, in the country’s worst road accident in nearly two years.
The buses were coming from opposite directions when they collided on a main road about 50 kilometers from Sharm el-Sheikh in the Sinai Peninsula, a resort town popular with beachgoers and scuba divers.
Another 41 people were injured, some with fractured skulls, said Khaled Abu Hashem, a local emergency services official. Two Saudis were among the dead, and four foreigners – a 20-year-old Ukranian woman, a Yemeni man and a Saudi woman and child – were injured. The death toll will likely rise as families identify the remains, he said.
Emergency workers spent the early hours Friday rushing survivors to ambulances and pulling bodies from the blood-stained wreckage.
Traffic accidents are common in Egypt due to poorly maintained roads and disregard of traffic laws, with about 13,000 people killed on the road last year.
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on August 23, 2014, on page 10.