BEIRUT

Middle East

Kidnapped German released in Syria: report

A rebel fighter walks along the front-line in a rebel-held suburb of Damascus on August 23, 2014. (AFP/Rami al-Sayed)

FRANKFURT: A 27-year-old German kidnapped in Syria by militants from ISIS around a year ago has been released, according to the Sunday newspaper Welt am Sonntag.

Quoting "investigating sources," the newspaper said that a "substantial consideration" was made to secure his release.

The man, whose name has not been released, is from the eastern state of Brandenburg and had traveled to Syria in June 2013 with the intention of offering "humanitarian aid."

His family reported him missing when he failed to contact them, the newspaper continued.

Then earlier this year, the man's family received a video containing a ransom demand and also showing the execution of another hostage, the newspaper said.

The German authorities - including the federal police BKA, the BND intelligence services and the Foreign Ministry - subsequently entered into negotiations with the kidnappers.

The newspaper quoted the Foreign Ministry as insisting that no ransom was paid for the man's release.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here