BEIRUT

Middle East

Second American killed fighting for ISIS: NBC

BEIRUT: A young American man has become the latest U.S. participant in the war in Syria to be killed fighting for the Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS), according to NBC News. The station said Douglas McAuthur McCain, 33, an African-American man from San Diego, was killed in fighting with Syrian rebel groups over the weekend. NBC said McCain was a native of Minnesota who in 2004 announced that he had “reverted” to Islam. The report said McCain had traveled to Turkey sometime in the spring, and in June began to use social media to allude to his imminent participation in the fighting. The report did not indicate where McCain had been killed, but the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported Monday that an “American suicide bomber” with ISIS had been killed in battles with the Islamic Front in Marea, Idlib province.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on August 27, 2014, on page 8.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here