Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
WEDNESDAY, 23 APR 2014
10:25 AM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
22 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Middle East
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
South Sudan cease-fire monitors deploy amid fighting
Agence France Presse
Rebel fighters walk in a rebel camp in Jonglei State February 2, 2014. REUTERS/Goran Tomasevic
Rebel fighters walk in a rebel camp in Jonglei State February 2, 2014. REUTERS/Goran Tomasevic
A+ A-

JUBA: cease-fire monitors have begun work in South Sudan, officials said Monday, amid repeated claims both government and rebels are breaking a deal to stop weeks of bloodshed in which thousands have been killed.

Clashes continue despite the deal signed last month by government and rebels, brokered by the East African bloc, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD).

"Some monitors have come," South Sudanese Vice-President James Wani Igga told reporters on Monday.

Thousands are believed to have been killed in the fighting pitting forces loyal to President Salva Kiir against a loose coalition of army defectors and ethnic militia nominally headed by sacked vice president Riek Machar, a seasoned guerrilla fighter.

The advance 14-person strong IGAD team -- led by an Ethiopian general with a Sudanese deputy -- arrived on Sunday and will report back on February 7 to IGAD special envoys in Ethiopia, when rival forces are due to restart peace talks.

IGAD teams are meant to ensure the warring sides honour their deal, but many fear the unarmed observers will struggle to monitor loose frontlines between multiple forces in a vast country with few roads.

The team will investigate "areas for possible deployment of the monitors", IGAD said in a statement.

UN Deputy Secretary General Jan Eliasson on Friday warned the "cessation of hostilities is not holding 100 percent", including some "very serious" breaches.

The government also dismissed rebel claims it was using mercenary forces to fight against them -- including Sudanese and Congolese guerrillas -- as lies.

"All these claims have no foundation at all," Igga said, in turn accusing the rebels of "now training and recruiting" for further attacks.

Uganda, a key IGAD member, sent in troops to back President Salva Kiir days after fighting broke out.

But rebel spokesman Lul Ruai Koang has also accused South Sudan's government of using foreign fighters, including rebels from neighbouring war-torn Sudan.

Those include both fighters from Sudan's Darfur region, the Justice and Equality Movement (JEM), as well as Sudan People's Liberation Army-North (SPLM-N) rebels, from the Blue Nile and South Kordofan regions.

He also claimed that fighters from the M23 rebels of eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, as well as the Rwandan militia who carried out the 1994 genocide and who are now based in DR Congo and known as the FDLR (Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda) were fighting on the government side.

It provides "clear indications that Kiir's government is not interested in peace but prepared for war" Koang added.

 
Home Middle East
 
     
 
South Sudan
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Story Summary
cease-fire monitors have begun work in South Sudan, officials said Monday, amid repeated claims both government and rebels are breaking a deal to stop weeks of bloodshed in which thousands have been killed.

Thousands are believed to have been killed in the fighting pitting forces loyal to President Salva Kiir against a loose coalition of army defectors and ethnic militia nominally headed by sacked vice president Riek Machar, a seasoned guerrilla fighter.

The government also dismissed rebel claims it was using mercenary forces to fight against them -- including Sudanese and Congolese guerrillas -- as lies.

Rebel spokesman Lul Ruai Koang has also accused South Sudan's government of using foreign fighters, including rebels from neighbouring war-torn Sudan.
Related Articles
 
 
Over a million displaced by South Sudan conflict: U.N.
 
 
S. Sudan rebels slaughtered 'hundreds': UN
 
 
Libyan rebels, govt reach deal to open some seized oil ports: rebel official
 
 
At least 58 killed in attack on U.N. base in South Sudan
Entities
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Tuesday April 22, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Israel shows Zionism’s true colors
Michael Young
Michael Young
Why confuse gibberish with knowledge?
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
Echoes of 1914 characterize the Ukraine crisis
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS