An army soldier checks cars at a checkpoint on a street in Sanaa February 3, 2014. (REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
The Yemeni government brokered a cease-fire in the north of the country Monday to end bloody clashes there, as a series of overnight explosions hit the capital, underscoring the interim government's weak grip on security.President Abed Rabbou Mansour Hadi sent Sanaa Governor Abdel-Qader Hilal to the northern province of Amran to try and end violence which erupted between the Houthi rebels and members of the powerful Hashid tribe on Jan. 5 and has left scores of people dead. Tribal sources said fighting which raged last week, killing an estimated 150 people and wounding 400, subsided Monday to allow mediation efforts.The prospect of a federal Yemen was originally mooted as a way to address grievances of the formerly independent south, where secessionist violence has also been rising.The attacks came after midnight and wounded three people, the police source said.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE