BEIRUT

Middle East

No truce with ISIS, Islamist group says

BEIRUT: A senior official from the Suqour al-Sham rebel brigade denied Thursday that his group had agreed to a truce with the ultraconservative Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS).

Multiple news reports Wednesday said the agreement followed weeks of violent clashes pitting ISIS militants against fighters from Suqour al-Sham and fellow members of the Islamic Front alliance, as well as mainstream Free Syrian Army units.

Ahmad Assi, the Suqour al-Sham Brigade’s media official, categorically denied the reported truce, which appeared to have been concluded by a Suqour al-Sham local commander in rural Hama.

Assi told a pro-opposition television station that contacts had been only intermittent with the brigade’s fighters in the area, and insisted that the central leadership of his group had concluded no truce with ISIS, whose objectionable actions in rebel-held areas triggered a bloody campaign against it in various parts of Syria early last month.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on February 07, 2014, on page 8.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here