Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Dozens of civilians were evacuated from rebel-held areas of the Syrian city of Homs on Friday under a humanitarian truce after having survived more than 600 days under army siege.The government in Damascus, meanwhile, confirmed it will join a new round of peace talks next week.The UN resident coordinator in Syria, Yaacub El Hillo, said that by the afternoon more than 80 civilians had been evacuated, according to state television.An AFP correspondent said some 12 civilians came out on the first bus from the rebel enclave.The government agreed to observe a "humanitarian pause" and opposition activists in Homs said the rebels had agreed to a four-day ceasefire.The second round of peace talks due to open Monday had been uncertain, with the government having failed to announce whether it would attend.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE