Civilians carry their belongings as they walk towards a meeting point to be evacuated from a besieged area of Homs February 9, 2014. REUTERS/Yazan Homsy
BEIRUT: An official with the Syrian Red Crescent says the aid agency is trying to get the cease-fire in Homs extended to deliver more aid and evacuate more people from the besieged city.
Khaled Erksoussi, the head of operations at SRC, says there are 200 families, mostly Christians, who want to leave two rebel-held districts in central Homs.
Erksoussi told The Associated Press over the telephone from Damascus that those people were unable to reach the designated exit point from the city during the three-day cease-fire that expired early on Monday.
He says 690 people have been evacuated from Homs since Friday.
Erksoussi says the U.N. is talking to the government and the rebels about extending the cease-fire.
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
ISIS has bolstered its forces north of Syria’s second city Aleppo, where it is attacking rivals as part of a broader...
Syrian warplanes have pounded the rebel-held city of Idlib with at least 14 airstrikes since regime forces pulled out...
Syrian regime airstrikes pounded Aleppo and Idlib Friday as anti-regime protesters called for foreign military...
Syrian and American officials traded blame Sunday for the failure of last week’s round of Geneva II peace talks.
Two drivers were shot dead in an attack on a peacekeeping supply convoy in northern Mali, the UN mission said Saturday.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE