BEIRUT

Middle East

Syrian opposition presents plan for post-war Syria

  • Louay Safi (L), spokesperson for the Syrian National Coalition, talks next to opposition delegation member Anas al-Abda during a press conference on the sideline of the Syrian peace talks at the United Nations in Geneva on February 12, 2014. AFP PHOTO/PHILIPPE DESMAZES

GENEVA: The Syrian opposition called on Wednesday for a transitional governing body to be set up that would oversee a total cease-fire under U.N. monitoring, and be empowered to drive out foreign fighters deployed on both sides of the civil war.

The confidential paper, seen by Reuters, was presented to international mediator Lakhdar Brahimi and a Syrian government delegation at a joint session held at peace talks in Geneva.

It made no mention of the fate of President Syrian President Bashar Assad, but opposition forces said that he had been ignored on purpose to make clear he had no role.

The Syrian government delegation said on Wednesday that negotiations must focus first on fighting terrorism and rejected parallel track talks on the opposition's priority of a transitional government as a "fruitless" idea.

"The Transitional Governing Body (TGB) will prepare and oversee a total cease-fire by taking immediate measures to stop military violence, protect civilians and stabilise the country in the presence of U.N. observers," the five-page document said.

It calls on all parties to "cooperate with the TGB in stopping the violence including the complete withdrawal of troops and tackling the issue of decommissioning the weapons of armed groups and demobilizing its members or integrating them into the army or civil public sectors".

The Damascus delegation did not reply to the proposal, opposition spokesman Louay Safi told reporters. "At this point we have not heard any response...I would like to hear some positive response."

 
Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here