Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
THURSDAY, 24 APR 2014
03:57 PM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
30 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Middle East
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Most rebels have left Syria's Yarmouk: Palestinian official
Agence France Presse
Civilians sit near damaged buildings at the Palestinian refugee camp of Yarmouk, south of Damascus, February 12, 2014. Picture taken February 12, 2014. REUTERS/Mohamad Mohamad
Civilians sit near damaged buildings at the Palestinian refugee camp of Yarmouk, south of Damascus, February 12, 2014. Picture taken February 12, 2014. REUTERS/Mohamad Mohamad
A+ A-

DAMASCUS: Most of the Syrian opposition fighters in the Palestinian refugee camp of Yarmuk in southern Damascus have withdrawn, a Palestinian official told AFP on Sunday.

Anwar Abdel Hadi, an official with the Palestine Liberation Organisation, said the pullout came after an agreement between the rebels and Palestinian factions in Yarmuk.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the accord may help ease a crippling army siege imposed more than 200 days ago that has trapped thousands of civilians and sparked famine.

"Most of the gunmen have pulled out of the camp," Abdel Hadi said.

"Palestinian fighters have deployed to the outskirts of the camp to prevent the entry of any non-Palestinian gunmen," he added.

Observatory chief Rami Abdel Rahman said the departure of fighters could pave the way to an easing of the siege on Yarmuk, where more than 100 people have died of malnutrition and lack of medical aid.

"The situation has become unbearable," Abdel Rahman told AFP.

"People are hungry and the situation has worsened over the past four months, that is why this agreement was reached," he added.

Last month, Palestinian factions negotiated a deal under which the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, was able to begin distributing food to Yarmuk residents.

Under the operation, 1,500 civilians were also evacuated.

The aid distribution, however, was halted on February 8 following renewed fighting in the camp between opponents and supporters of the Syrian regime.

Abdel Hadi said aid could re-enter the camp once all the fighters leave.

A Palestinian delegation is due to tour the camp on Sunday "to ensure it is free of gunmen" and within 24 hours bomb disposal experts will go in to defuse explosives and mines.

"Humanitarian aid can resume immediately after these processes are completed and state institutions return to the camp," he said.

The camp was once home to some 150,000 Palestinians, as well as Syrian residents.

But large parts of it have been destroyed by fighting and many residents have fled, with just 18,000 left behind and under a tight army siege imposed after rebels took control of the camp.

On Saturday, UNRWA urged renewed access to Yarmuk, warning the supplies it had delivered would now be running out.

"We have not distributed food there over a week now which is potentially life-threatening for the besieged civilians trapped by the conflict," UNRWA spokesman Chris Gunness said.

 
Home Middle East
 
     
 
Syria / Palestine
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Story Summary
Most of the Syrian opposition fighters in the Palestinian refugee camp of Yarmuk in southern Damascus have withdrawn, a Palestinian official told AFP on Sunday.

Anwar Abdel Hadi, an official with the Palestine Liberation Organisation, said the pullout came after an agreement between the rebels and Palestinian factions in Yarmuk.

Abdel Hadi said aid could re-enter the camp once all the fighters leave.

The camp was once home to some 150,000 Palestinians, as well as Syrian residents.

But large parts of it have been destroyed by fighting and many residents have fled, with just 18,000 left behind and under a tight army siege imposed after rebels took control of the camp.
Related Articles
 
 
Stains on a noble cause
 
 
Fatah to sign neutrality pact after Islamists agree to end assassinations
Entities
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Thursday April 24, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Israel shows Zionism’s true colors
Michael Young
Michael Young
For Christians, blessed are the dividers
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
An Iran deal is close, but we’re not there yet
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS