File photo of Oman's Sultan Qaboos bin Said attending the opening of the GCC summit in Doha in this December 3, 2007 file photo. REUTERS/Fadi Al-Assaad/Files
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
A court in Oman sentenced two ex-government officials on Sunday to three years in jail for abuse of office, local media reported, one of a series of trials that began last year to curb corruption in the Gulf Arab state.The privately-owned al-Shabiba newspaper said one of the convicted officials had been the undersecretary at the housing ministry and the other the secretary general at the Supreme Committee for Town Planning, since replaced with a new body.The prosecution accused them of using their offices to issue title deeds for lands in the southern coastal state of Duqm that had been confiscated in 2006 for public use. All 23 defendants were fined 100 rials ($260) each and the related title deeds were revoked.More than 20 Omani government officials and private sector executives have gone on trial on charges of offering or accepting bribes in exchange for contracts, mostly in infrastructure projects.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE