A rebel takes position at a damaged street in Old City of Aleppo. (REUTERS/Jalal Almamo)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Syrian and American officials traded blame Sunday for the failure of last week's round of Geneva II peace talks, which sought an end to a three-year conflict that has claimed more than 140,000 lives, according to the latest estimates by pro-opposition activists.The peace talks broke off Saturday with no tangible result and no date was set for a third round, but Kerry said Washington remained committed to the Geneva process and all diplomatic efforts to find a political solution.The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human rights, which gave the new casualty estimate Saturday, said nearly 5,800 people had been killed since the Geneva talks began on Jan. 22 .For his part, Syria's foreign minister accused the U.S. of trying to create a "negative climate" for dialogue at the second round of peace talks.More than 1,000 people were also evacuated from the city, which has been under government blockade for more than a year.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE