Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
THURSDAY, 17 APR 2014
06:34 PM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
21 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Middle East
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Egypt militants claim Sinai tourist bus attack
Associated Press
An injured South Korean woman is seen in her room at Sharm international hospital in the Red Sea town of Sharm el-Sheikh, some 500 kilometers east of Cairo, on February 17, 2014, a day after a tourist bus was targeted by a bomb in the Egyptian south Sinai resort town of Taba. AFP PHOTO / KHALED DESOUKI
An injured South Korean woman is seen in her room at Sharm international hospital in the Red Sea town of Sharm el-Sheikh, some 500 kilometers east of Cairo, on February 17, 2014, a day after a tourist bus was targeted by a bomb in the Egyptian south Sinai resort town of Taba. AFP PHOTO / KHALED DESOUKI
A+ A-

CAIRO: A militant group based in the Sinai Peninsula has claimed responsibility for a bomb attack on an Egyptian bus in the desert peninsula that killed three South Korean tourists and an Egyptian driver.

Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, Arabic for Champions of Jerusalem, said in a statement posted on militant websites late Monday that one of its "heroes" carried out Sunday's bombing in Taba.

"God helped your brothers in Ansar Beit al-Maqdis to assign one of its heroes to blow up the tourist bus that was heading to the Zionist entity (Israel) as part of our economic war attacks on this traitorous hireling regime, which plundered the nation's wealth," the statement said

Egyptian officials have called the attack a suicide bombing, but the statement did not contain the usual phrasing, such as the word "martyr" or "God bless his soul" used in previous claims for attacks in which the bomber also died.

The statement lashed out at intensified Egyptian military operations in the Sinai Peninsula along the border with Israel targeting the militants' hideouts and vehicles.

The Egyptian regime is "killing innocent people, imprisoning women, demolishing their houses, looting their properties and flattening the lands at the border with Zionist enemy as well as displacing their owners merely to please their Jewish masters and protect their alleged borders," it said.

The Al-Qaeda-inspired group has claimed responsibility for previous attacks, but until now they have targeted primarily police and the military. The attacks have spiked after the miitary's 2013 overthrow of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi, spreading to cities of the Nile Delta and the capital, Cairo.

The group claimed responsibility for downing a military helicopter in Sinai in late January, killing all five crewmembers and the assassination earlier this month of a senior interior ministry aide and carried out a powerful truck bomb outside Cairo's main security directorate.

The authenticity of the statement could not be verified but it was posted on Al-Qaeda-affiliated websites.

 
Home Middle East
 
     
 
Egypt
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Story Summary
A militant group based in the Sinai Peninsula has claimed responsibility for a bomb attack on an Egyptian bus in the desert peninsula that killed three South Korean tourists and an Egyptian driver.

The statement lashed out at intensified Egyptian military operations in the Sinai Peninsula along the border with Israel targeting the militants' hideouts and vehicles.

The Egyptian regime is "killing innocent people, imprisoning women, demolishing their houses, looting their properties and flattening the lands at the border with Zionist enemy as well as displacing their owners merely to please their Jewish masters and protect their alleged borders," it said.

The Al-Qaeda-inspired group has claimed responsibility for previous attacks, but until now they have targeted primarily police and the military.
Related Articles
 
 
Egypt jihadists threaten Sinai security wall attacks
 
 
Egypt troops kill top Sinai militant: army
 
 
Egypt arrests alleged "terrorist" who fought in Syria
Three injured in Cairo blast
 
 
Egyptian soldier killed, 3 police wounded in attack on bus: army
Show More
Entities
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Thursday April 17, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Silencing Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s hate talk
Michael Young
Michael Young
Why confuse gibberish with knowledge?
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
Putin will keep rolling, until Obama says no
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS