Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
FRIDAY, 18 APR 2014
09:36 PM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
22 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Middle East
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Egypt's Mubarak faces new trial over corruption
Associated Press
FOR USE AS DESIRED, YEAR END PHOTOS - FILE - Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, seated, and his two sons Gamal Mubarak, left, and Alaa Mubarak, right, attend a hearing in a courtroom at the Police Academy, Cairo, Egypt, Saturday, Sept. 14, 2013. (AP Photo/Ahmed Omar, File)
FOR USE AS DESIRED, YEAR END PHOTOS - FILE - Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, seated, and his two sons Gamal Mubarak, left, and Alaa Mubarak, right, attend a hearing in a courtroom at the Police Academy, Cairo, Egypt, Saturday, Sept. 14, 2013. (AP Photo/Ahmed Omar, File)
A+ A-

CAIRO: Egypt's ousted President Hosni Mubarak and his two sons are appearing before a Cairo court, facing charges that they wasted millions of dollars in public funds allocated to renovate presidential palaces.

Wednesday's session is the first in the case after months-long pause. The trial initially opened in August, but the court sent it back to the prosecutor general who added four new defendants. The state media says they held management positions in the project.

Last year, the ailing president was sentenced to life imprisonment on charges of failing to stop the killing of protesters during the 2011 uprising that forced him from office. His sentence was canceled on appeal and he is now facing a retrial.

He appeared in court sitting in a wheelchair next to his sons.

 
Home Middle East
 
     
 
Egypt
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Story Summary
The trial initially opened in August, but the court sent it back to the prosecutor general who added four new defendants. The state media says they held management positions in the project.
Related Articles
 
 
220 referred to prosecutor for mass trial in Egypt
 
 
Jailed Brotherhood leader appeals to Egypt judges
 
 
Egypt prosecutor orders new mass trials of 919
 
 
Al-Jazeera journalists back in Cairo court
Entities
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Friday April 18, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Silencing Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s hate talk
Michael Young
Michael Young
Why confuse gibberish with knowledge?
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
Putin will keep rolling, until Obama says no
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS