Libyan Electricity Minister Ali Mohammed Muhairiq speaks during a news conference in Tripoli February 25, 2014. (REUTERS/Ismail Zitouny)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
More than 100 rockets fired by government-payrolled rival gunmen rained down on a Libyan power plant and electrical blackouts could result this summer, the country's electricity minister said on Tuesday.Electricity Minister Ali Mohammed Muhairiq said days of clashes between militias working for the two ministries had knocked out the power station in Sarir, in the remote south.Power demand peaks in summer due to extensive use of air conditioners, often causing outages across the OPEC oil producer.The government had no budget to fund the repairs, which would cost up to 300 million Libyan dinars ($240 million) but parliament had approved a loan, he said, without giving details.The government said on Sunday it had imposed special spending rules on several ministries because the 2014 budget had been delayed.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE