BEIRUT

Middle East

Belgium issues travel warning for Sharm el-Sheikh after 'serious threat'

Western and Arab tourists walk on Naama Bay main pedestrian area at the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheik, Egypt, late Monday, July 20, 2009. (AP Photo/Amr Nabil)

BRUSSELS: Belgium warned tourists Friday against going to the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh after a "serious threat."

Foreign Minister Didier Reynders gave no details of the threat but the warning follows a bomb attack on a bus that killed three South Korean tourists in south Sinai earlier this month which was claimed by an Al-Qaeda-inspired group.

The standard travel advice had been changed after consultations with neighbours Germany and the Netherlands, Reynders said.

Brussels had previously warned tourists against going to the Gulf of Aqaba. Thursday's warning therefore encompasses the entire Sinai region, the foreign minister said.

In the Sinai bus attack, the Ansar Beit al-Maqdis group said it was "part of our economic war against this regime of traitors" in Egypt.

Since the military's ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July, it had focused its previous attacks on security forces.

The Sinai and its coastline are popular with Western tourists and the area has largely avoided the violence rocking Egypt since a popular uprising toppled strongman Hosni Mubarak in 2011.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here