Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
FRIDAY, 25 APR 2014
12:59 AM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
22 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Middle East
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Syria ships out first batch of chemical weapons materials
File - Norwegian soldier onboard the Norwegian frigate Helge Ingstad, one of four Danish and Norwegian vessels deployed to bring Syria’s chemical agents to destruction, as the ship leaves the port of Limassol, Cyprus, December 28, 2013.  (AFP PHOTO/NORWEGIAN ARMED FORCES/LARS MAGNE HOVTUN)
File - Norwegian soldier onboard the Norwegian frigate Helge Ingstad, one of four Danish and Norwegian vessels deployed to bring Syria’s chemical agents to destruction, as the ship leaves the port of Limassol, Cyprus, December 28, 2013. (AFP PHOTO/NORWEGIAN ARMED FORCES/LARS MAGNE HOVTUN)
A+ A-

BEIRUT: Syria has started moving chemical weapons materials out of the country in a crucial phase of an internationally backed disarmament program that has been delayed by war and technical problems.

The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons said Tuesday “priority chemical materials” were transported to the port of Latakia and onto a Danish vessel which was now sailing toward international waters.

War, bad weather, bureaucracy and technical issues meant a Dec. 31 deadline for the removal of the most deadly toxins from Syria was missed.

Tuesday’s shipment “initiates the process of transfer of chemical materials from the Syrian Arab Republic to locations outside its territory for destruction,” the OPCW said.

The ship, under escort by Chinese, Danish, Norwegian and Russian naval vessels, will stand offshore until more chemicals arrive at the port and then return to collect them.

The chemicals removed Tuesday will eventually be transferred to a U.S. ship, the Cape Ray, which has been fitted with special machinery, and destroyed on board.

Syria agreed last year to a U.S.-Russian deal to hand over its chemical weapons.

That came after U.S. President Barack Obama threatened airstrikes in response to an August chemical weapons attack outside Damascus that killed hundreds of people, which Washington blamed on the Syrian regime.

Damascus blamed the attack on rebel groups.

The OPCW did not disclose what percentage of Syria’s toxic arsenal – which totals 1,300 tons in all – had been removed but said nine containers of the most dangerous chemical materials were on the Danish cargo vessel.

Government forces have taken back control of the highway linking Damascus to the coast which is needed to transport the toxins.

Rebel were ousted from three towns along the road but activists say convoys moving along it will remain vulnerable to rebel ambushes.

Washington welcomed the removal of chemical materials and said Assad’s government appeared to be sticking to the deal.

“Much more needs to be done,” State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki told a news briefing, adding: “We have no reason to believe that the regime has gone back on any aspect of their promise.”

At OPCW headquarters in the Hague, director general Ahmet Uzumcu said the first removal was an “important step.”

“I encourage the Syrian government to maintain the momentum to remove the remaining priority chemicals, in a safe and timely manner, so that they can be destroyed ... as quickly as possible,” he said in a statement.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on January 08, 2014, on page 1.
Home Middle East
 
     
 
Syria
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Story Summary
Syria has started moving chemical weapons materials out of the country in a crucial phase of an internationally backed disarmament program that has been delayed by war and technical problems.

Syria agreed last year to a U.S.-Russian deal to hand over its chemical weapons.

That came after U.S. President Barack Obama threatened airstrikes in response to an August chemical weapons attack outside Damascus that killed hundreds of people, which Washington blamed on the Syrian regime.

The OPCW did not disclose what percentage of Syria's toxic arsenal – which totals 1,300 tons in all – had been removed but said nine containers of the most dangerous chemical materials were on the Danish cargo vessel.
Related Articles
 
 
Key dates since Syria's 2013 chemical attack
Watchdog: 49 percent of Syrian chemicals removed
 
 
Chemical arms handover nearly two-thirds complete
 
 
Syrian airstrikes target crowded market
 
 
Syria chemical handover at 86.5 percent: watchdog
Show More
Entities
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Thursday April 24, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Israel shows Zionism’s true colors
Michael Young
Michael Young
For Christians, blessed are the dividers
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
An Iran deal is close, but we’re not there yet
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS